Young children are very receptive to any information, so it is important to find the right approach for their learning. Any child learns to count on simple examples and things that he sees every day. There are many modern methods to teach a child to write, count, add or multiply. Parents should devote a certain amount of time to this so that the child is ready for school. The simple ability to count to one hundred should be simple and creative.
No need to force the child or coerce, this may lose his desire to learn. One of the most effective methods is the Singapore method of teaching mathematics, which you can study in detail on the original site. You will be able to find an approach to your baby and apply a fairly simple and understandable method, which is briefly described in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJERM2L9Ees.
Obstacles To Children’s Perception Of Learning
Each child is unique, it is important to find the right approach to present the necessary information. Learning counting techniques by heart can be quite difficult for some children, so the Singapore method offers another way. This offers a simple technique for “feeling” numbers where the child looks at the sequence. But there are certain barriers that can prevent him from learning:
- Children may skip some numbers and even say them out of order.
- Misunderstanding of counting numbers by tens (building combinations).
- Some kids get lost when counting starts from anything other than 1.
Of course, any training involves the participation of parents. Show him real things that need to be counted in order. It is better to do this in stages, first showing him the numbers from 0 to 9. Regular training is the key to success, so take time to study every day. Ask your child to count the apples in the basket or the number of cubes they have. Find any examples at home, in the park, at a picnic, on a walk.
Popular Game Activities for Learning Counting
There are many blocks and cards to teach math to kids but not all of them are suitable for young children. The child perceives shapes, sounds, forms, pictures. Parents try various activities and find the best option to interest children. Here are some of them:
- Missing number cards.
- Spin and cover.
- How many fingers?
- Affiliate game with chips – reach 100.
- What number comes next?
- What’s in between?
Choose any games where the child will develop not only an understanding of the technique of counting, but also attentiveness and ingenuity. Start your little lesson with an offer to play. A few years ago, a study was conducted that children perceived the game better with bright blocks than with simple wooden ones. Add more colors and interesting details to the game (for example, promotion or a small prize).
Easy Steps to Learn Counting
Find any available ways to train children at home or while walking. Use singing, dancing, poetry, or other ways to show your child how to count. Many experienced educators do not advise creating a learning framework for young children. Show him examples and ask questions in the course of everyday life (when you wash the dishes, play, go to the store or take a walk in the garden). Perhaps other approaches will also be of interest to you:
- Many YouTube channels offer interesting and slightly playful ways for kids to enjoy learning. If certain methods seem difficult to you for children 3-5 years old, then come up with your own ways. For example, count the number of buttons on a jacket.
- Children can remember information better when they see a visual example. Show your child a diagram with numbers from 1 to 100. He will see the pattern and understand the sequence of numbers better than aloud.
- Start learning by understanding the number of days. Children go to school and can count how many days their classes have been this month. It is still difficult for them to count up to 31, but they understand how much it is and how this number is combined.
- The best method of memorization is repetition. You were able to teach him the numbers from 1 to 20, repeat them regularly. Add a new block of consecutive numbers. Show them in the house or on the street (for example, count the number of benches in the park in a circle).
- A great way to teach a child to count is motivation. Choose an important event (buying a bike, going to the zoo) and ask the child to count how many days are left before this event. Children willingly agree to motivation and this is an additional incentive for them to study the account.
Any method of teaching young children requires a lot of patience. Children are different and they perceive learning differently. Some of them are irritable, others are inattentive, others are lazy. Any child can learn to count only if the topic is interesting to him. Children love sweets – count candies or the number of strawberries on a birthday cake. Many children get used to such a game system of learning and they rejoice in their success. Do not forget to praise the child and he will be happy with his achievements.
The development and education of children is the patience and care of parents. You can start showing him math from an early age when he starts to explore the world. Use various improvised tools for this (two bears or four dolls). Start with small details and then develop it. Not only professional teachers can find an approach to the character of your child. Only the love and care of parents will help him become a person. Don’t push or yell, use learning as just another game. Methods of standard education in old schools differ from modern Singapore. This technique has been officially introduced into many Asian and American schools. Try to fuck it up yourself and show it to your child.
See Also: The Importance of Routine For Your Child