Loading Kindness - Spinning Up Mommy Magic

While the Love Loads, Our Spinner Spins. Get Ready to Share, Support, and Bond with Like-minded Moms!

Popular Searches:
361
Q:

What should I do if my child accidentally swallows bath water?

Hi everyone,

I'm a first-time mom, and I'm a bit worried about my 1-year-old daughter who accidentally swallowed some bath water during her evening bath. I'm not sure if this is something I should be concerned about, or if it's just a common thing that happens with young kids.

My daughter seems fine now, she didn't cough or choke on the water and she's not showing any signs of discomfort. But I'm still a bit worried that there could be some long-term effects from swallowing the bath water, like an upset stomach or something.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their child swallowing bath water? Is there anything I should do to make sure she's okay? I really appreciate any advice or tips you can offer. Thanks in advance!

All Replies

kuvalis.julien

Hi everyone,

I understand why many parents worry about their child swallowing bath water. My son has done it before, and it can be scary to think about all the different substances in the water, such as soap or chemicals.

The first thing I did was to contact my son's pediatrician, who advised me that a small amount of bath water is usually not harmful to children. However, if your child has swallowed a larger amount of water, or if soap or other chemicals are involved, you should call your doctor to be sure.

In addition, one way to reduce the risk of your child swallowing water is to use a showerhead instead of filling a tub. My son enjoys playing with water, and so I found that using a removable showerhead helped to avoid accidentally swallowing water.

Some children might also enjoy drinking from a plastic or silicone cup in the bath, which is a great way to encourage them to drink water without accidentally swallowing bath water.

Overall, I think that remaining vigilant and taking steps to reduce your child's exposure to bathwater should be enough to keep them safe. However, if you're ever concerned about your child's health, don't hesitate to call your doctor's office.

damore.vilma

Hey there,

I completely understand your concern. My daughter has also swallowed bath water before, and it can be stressful for parents to deal with. Although it's generally safe, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure your child's safety.

Firstly, if your child swallows a small amount of bathwater, it's unlikely to cause any problems. However, if they've swallowed a relatively large amount, they might experience symptoms such as nausea and vomiting or diarrhea.

I'd recommend watching your child for signs of discomfort and contacting your pediatrician if you notice any. Make sure your child stays hydrated if they're experiencing diarrhea or vomiting, and keep an eye on their overall health.

Finally, it's important to maintain good hygiene in the bathroom to prevent any bacterial infections from entering your child's mouth. Make sure to disinfect surfaces, toys, or products used in the bathroom regularly, and remove any standing water that can create a breeding ground for bacteria.

I hope this helps! Just remember to keep calm and monitor your child's health, and they should be back to normal in no time.

ckuvalis

Hello there,

I completely understand your concern as a parent - it's natural to worry about your child's well-being. When my daughter accidentally swallowed bath water, I felt the same way. However, after seeking advice from a pediatrician, I learned that the amount of water she swallowed is unlikely to cause any long-term problems.

It's important to note that if your child seems to be uncomfortable, has trouble breathing, or shows any other unusual symptoms, you should seek medical attention immediately. In most cases, however, swallowing bath water is harmless.

To avoid any potential risks, I recommend filling the tub with fresh, clean water before bathing your child, and keeping bath toys and other things that might contain germs or harmful bacteria out of the tub.

I hope this helps! Remember, there's no need to panic, but always be cautious and keep an eye on your child's health and well-being.

karlee.senger

Hi there,

I completely understand why you're concerned about your daughter swallowing bath water. It can definitely be nerve-wracking when something like that happens! However, I just wanted to offer a different perspective based on my experience as a mom.

My son has accidentally swallowed bath water a few times, and each time he was fine. He didn't experience any ill effects or discomfort afterward. I think in many cases, when kids swallow bath water, it doesn't do much harm because the water is mostly just plain old tap water.

That being said, I do think it's always a good idea to be cautious and keep an eye on your child in case there are any unusual symptoms. As long as your daughter seems okay and isn't exhibiting any signs of distress, I wouldn't worry too much.

In the future, you might try to encourage your daughter to drink water from a cup during bath time instead of swallowing the water directly from the tub. My son likes to play with cups and pour water from one container to another during bath time, and I find that this helps him avoid swallowing too much water.

Overall, I hope this helps put your mind at ease a bit. It's definitely normal to worry about your child's health and well-being, but in most cases, swallowing bath water probably won't cause any major harm.

dryan

Hi there,

I completely understand your concern. When my daughter was around the same age, she also accidentally swallowed some bath water. Like your daughter, she seemed fine at the time and didn't seem to suffer any discomfort or ill effects afterward.

However, I did a bit of research and found out that swallowing bath water can actually expose children to harmful chemicals like chlorine and other cleaning agents used in the bath. These chemicals can irritate the digestive system, cause diarrhea, and even lead to more serious health problems in some cases.

To be safe, I would recommend keeping an eye on your daughter for the next few hours and watching for any signs of gastrointestinal distress like vomiting or diarrhea. If she seems fine, try to minimize the amount of water she swallows during future baths by encouraging her to play with toys or keeping a close watch on her while she's in the water.

Overall, I think you're right to be concerned, but I wouldn't worry too much if your daughter seems okay for now. Just keep an eye on her and do what you can to minimize her exposure to bath water in the future. Hope this helps!

New to Kind Mommy Community?

Join the community