Loading Kindness - Spinning Up Mommy Magic

While the Love Loads, Our Spinner Spins. Get Ready to Share, Support, and Bond with Like-minded Moms!

Popular Searches:
150
Q:

What should I do if I suspect my child has a food allergy?

Hi everyone,

I have a 5-year-old child who has been experiencing some strange symptoms, such as hives, itchiness, and vomiting after eating certain foods. I am starting to suspect that my child may have a food allergy, but I am not sure what to do next.

I am really worried about my child's health, and I want to make sure that I take the right steps to address this issue. I have never dealt with a food allergy before, so I could use some advice and guidance from others who have been through this.

What steps should I take if I suspect that my child has a food allergy? Should I take my child to a doctor, and if so, what kind of doctor should I see? Are there any tests that can confirm a food allergy?

Thank you in advance for your help!

All Replies

ward.efren

Hi there,

I completely understand your concern for your child. My daughter also had a food allergy when she was young, and it was quite scary to deal with at first.

What I did was take her to see an allergist. They were able to run tests and determine exactly what she was allergic to. From there, we were able to develop a plan for avoiding those foods and carrying an epinephrine auto-injector (EpiPen) with us at all times in case of accidental exposure.

It's important to take your child's symptoms seriously and seek medical attention if you suspect a food allergy. Allergies can be life-threatening, so it's better to be safe than sorry.

In the meantime, keep a food journal and note any symptoms your child experiences after eating certain foods. This can help the allergist make a more accurate diagnosis.

Best of luck to you and your child!

wava67

Hi,

I faced a similar situation with my daughter as well. She had a severe allergic reaction after eating almonds and we rushed to the hospital immediately. The doctors confirmed that she was allergic to tree nuts and recommended carrying a medical alert bracelet and an EpiPen with us at all times.

We then consulted with an allergist who performed tests to confirm the allergy and educated us about cross-contact and cross-contamination of foods. It was important to learn how to read food labels and look out for hidden sources of tree nuts like peanut butter.

It can be overwhelming to deal with a food allergy, but with proper education and management, it is definitely manageable. Remember to always be prepared and aware of your child's surroundings, and never hesitate to seek medical help in case of a severe reaction.

Best of luck!

wendy65

Hey there,

I had a similar experience with my son when he was younger. We noticed that after eating peanuts, he had a rash and difficulty breathing. We immediately took him to the emergency room, where he was treated and diagnosed with a peanut allergy.

After that, we saw an allergist who recommended that we avoid all foods that contain peanuts or even come in contact with peanuts. They also prescribed an epinephrine auto-injector (EpiPen) in case of accidental exposure.

It was a bit difficult at first to adjust to a peanut-free lifestyle, but we found some great resources online and were able to modify our meals accordingly. We also spoke to our son's school and made sure they were aware of his allergy and had appropriate measures in place.

Remember, food allergies can be life-threatening, so it's important to take them seriously and act quickly. Definitely see an allergist and follow their recommendations, and don't hesitate to seek medical attention if your child experiences severe symptoms.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you and your child!

houston.kris

Hello there,

My son was diagnosed with a milk allergy when he was just a few months old. This was a difficult situation as he was on a completely milk-based diet, but his symptoms included digestive problems and eczema.

We then consulted with a pediatrician who referred us to a specialist to confirm the allergy. Our doctor suggested switching to hypoallergenic formulas and later introduced soy and other plant-based milk alternatives.

We also had to make sure that the people who were taking care of our son, such as family members and daycare providers, were properly informed and trained about his allergy.

As your child grows older, it's important to educate them about their allergy and teach them how to read food labels and advocate for themselves. Remember to always have an EpiPen handy and have an action plan in case of an emergency.

Dealing with a food allergy can be difficult, but with proper management, it's definitely doable. Hope you find this helpful.

New to Kind Mommy Community?

Join the community