Loading Kindness - Spinning Up Mommy Magic

While the Love Loads, Our Spinner Spins. Get Ready to Share, Support, and Bond with Like-minded Moms!

Popular Searches:
150
Q:

How can I make sure that my child does not accidentally ingest soap or shampoo?

Hi everyone,

I am a concerned parent and have recently had a scare where my toddler accidentally ingested a small amount of shampoo while we were in the shower. Thankfully, he was okay, but it got me thinking about how I can prevent this from happening in the future.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions on how I can ensure that my child does not accidentally ingest soap or shampoo while we are bathing? I try to keep a close eye on him, but sometimes he moves around so quickly that it's hard to keep track of everything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

All Replies

merle.klocko

Hello,

I understand your worry about accidental ingestion of soap or shampoo during bath time. One thing that has worked for me in preventing this is to use a small amount of product when bathing my child and to be extra cautious when cleaning around their face, eyes and mouth.

I generally put a small amount of shampoo onto a washcloth or use a small squirt of body wash on a loofah, making sure to only use as much product as needed. It’s also important to rinse the loofah or washcloth thoroughly after use to avoid any leftover soap.

Additionally, before I let my child touch the bath products, I make sure to remind them verbally to not touch anything before I give the permission, ensuring that they are aware of the seriousness of using bath products properly.

Incorporating these techniques has helped keep my child safe while preventing any accidental ingestion of soap or shampoo.

I hope this helps!

luz25

Hey there,

As a parent of a child who has a curious mind and likes to explore everything around her, I can totally relate to your concerns. Apart from the tips previously shared by other users, one thing that worked for me was to teach my child about the potential dangers of ingesting soap or shampoo.

I started by explaining to her that soap and shampoo are not food items, and that they are meant to be used externally only. I also made it a rule to only allow her to use bath products when I am present, so that I can closely supervise her.

Another thing that worked was to introduce soap and shampoo in a fun way. I brought her toys, where we together gave them a "bath" using soap and shampoo. This way she learned that soap/shampoo should stay away from her body and into the toys.

With patience and consistency, this approach has worked for me and now my child knows that soap and shampoo are not meant to be consumed, and I no longer worry about her accidentally ingesting them.

marion58

Hi there!

I completely understand your concern as I had a similar experience with my own child. What worked for me was to make sure that all soaps, shampoos, and other bathing products were out of my child's reach. I installed a shower caddy high up on the wall where my child couldn't reach it, and that helped to prevent any accidental ingestions.

I also made sure to keep a close eye on my child while he was in the tub, and try to distract him with toys or bath bubbles to keep him from getting too curious about the products. Another thing that helped me was to only use baby-safe products that were made with natural ingredients, so that if my child did accidentally ingest them, it would not be harmful to him.

I hope this helps you!

olesch

Hello everyone,

I faced a similar issue in the past where my child had accidentally ingested soap while taking a bath. To prevent such incidents from happening in the future, I made a habit of washing my child's face before allowing them to touch any bathing products.

By washing their face, this removes any chance of accidentally rubbing soap or shampoo into their eyes or mouth since their skin is already clean and clear.

Additionally, I also developed a routine of washing my child's hands with soap after they finish with their bath so that any residue on their fingers is removed and there is no chance of ingestion through hand-to-mouth contact.

I hope my experience helps you as well in keeping your child safe from accidental ingestions during bath time.

boehm.winifred

Hey there,

I had a similar situation with my little one and was concerned about ingesting harmful chemicals in soap and shampoo. To solve this issue, I simply avoided using any scented or artificial colored soaps for kids, and instead opted to use organic, scent-free and natural soaps made specifically for kids.

In addition to this, I ensured that the soap was lathered well and rinsed off completely to eliminate the chance of any residue staying on his skin. Also, I made sure that all the soaps and other bathing products were always properly sealed and kept away after we were done with using them.

I hope this helps keep your child safe!

stephen90

Hey there,

I completely understand your concern about accidental ingestion of soap or shampoo during bath time. In my experience, investing in a good quality bath seat for my child has been quite helpful.

A bath seat is designed to keep your child seated safely in the bath, preventing them from accidentally slipping or moving around too much. With the help of a bath seat, I can focus more on bathing my child and not worry too much about them accidentally ingesting any product.

Another thing that I found helpful is to avoid using heavily fragranced and colored products during bath time. Instead, I opt for mild and unscented bath products specifically made for children.

Lastly, it is also important to keep an eye on your child at all times during bath time, even when using a bath seat. Make sure to always be there to supervise them and prevent any mishaps.

I hope these tips help you keep your child safe during bath time!

karina.kohler

Hi there,

I understand your concern with preventing accidental ingestions of soap or shampoo while bathing children. One thing that has worked for me is to use a shower gel instead of traditional soap bars or bottles. Shower gels typically have a less slippery texture, making them easier to handle, and they come in bottles with secure lids that are less likely to spill.

Also, I make sure that my child does not touch anything when I lather her skin during the bathing process. I first lather up my hands, work up a good foam, then apply it over her skin. This ensures that any accidental contact with soap or shampoo is kept to a minimum.

I hope these tips help!

pauline45

Hi there,

One thing that has worked for me in preventing accidental ingestion of soap or shampoo during bath time is using a showerhead with a wand attachment.

With a wand attachment, I can easily direct the water flow (set it to a gentle spray) or rinse away any soap or shampoo from my child's body. And since the water is being sprayed instead of poured, I can easily avoid getting the water in my child’s eyes.

I also try to keep my child engaged and distracted during bath time with fun bath toys and sing-along songs. This not only helps to keep their mind off of the bath products but also makes bath time more enjoyable for them.

Lastly, I keep all bath products on a high, out-of-reach shelf to prevent accidental ingestion.

I hope this helps!

New to Kind Mommy Community?

Join the community